Table of Contents
Before getting into the topic let’s know about the saviors of teeth.
Who is referred to as Dentists?
A Dentist is also known as a “Dental surgeon”. He is a medical professional who specializes in Dentistry. Dentists diagnose, treat and prevent the diseases and harmful conditions that occur in the oral region. By licensed training, the dentists are eligible to perform dental treatments such as restorations, orthodontics, prosthodontic, endodontic, oral surgeries. Dentists and their team help in serving the oral health care sector. A professional dentist must complete a minimum of 8 years of dental studies and must be holding a degree of DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) or DDS (Doctor of Dental surgery).
About DENTISTRY: It is the study of diagnosing and treating or preventing diseases and disorders of the mouth, gums, jaw and teeth. That can be said as a complete oral health care specialist as Dentist. Dentistry provides various opportunities, challenges, and rewards. This study allows the dentist to build up the self-confidence, appearance and smiles of the people.
How important are dentists in society?
We have a wide range of medical fields with efficient experts to avail the needs of a patient. Each field has its own importance and none of them is less as it has its own impact and especially surgeons and clinical physicians are mandatory to serve the patients. Dentists are needed for helping us have a beautiful smile on our faces by helping us and guiding us to maintain oral health. The regular dental check-up helps in preventing tooth decay, periodontal diseases, oral cancer, oro-dental trauma, cleft lip, and many other disorders.
How to register as a dental therapist/dentist in the UK?
The person to register as DCP – Dental care professional who has pursued a BDS (Bachelor of Surgery) degree from overseas.
- Only If the person didn’t register to GDC earlier.
- The person who pursued dental qualification from overseas (not EU).
STEP 1: To Request an Assessment application from GDC
- Initially, you need to request the proforma from GDC.
- You have to request it from the GDC website.
- Select the “ROUTE TO REGISTER “. And pay attention to complete the proforma regarding the route to registration.
- Once after the completion of the proforma, you can submit the form.
- The information that has been submitted by you is reviewed by GDC and you will get the notification through the given email of the appropriate form and guidance that you have to submit in order to apply for registration with GDC.
- GDC informs about allowing 10 working days to assess the details and send their assessment application pack through the return mail. Even if it says about 10 working days they can send it in 1-2 working days.
- You need to thoroughly read the GDC’s official FAQ for frequently asked questions on the assessment procedure.
STEP 2: Fill different forms
- You will be receiving 4-5 items attached together with the email from the DCP assessment group at GDC.
- LEARNING OUTCOMES FORM: The huge challenge that you face in this step is the learning outcomes form. It must require your complete University syllabus or curriculum to complete this form. This form is especially more detailed and requires you to be careful in ensuring the learning outcomes of the therapist or hygienist are filled properly. Therefore you need to make sure that there are no gaps in the qualification and all training plus CPD are also pursued to overcome any of these gaps in your desired course ( NOTE – If you hadn’t filled this application form carefully most likely GDC will reject your application).
- If you are struggling with this process of completing the application form then understand and get guidance before filling it.
- DCP ASSESSMENT FORM: secondly you need to fill the application form which itself is called as DCP assessment form. It contains more than 20 pages, but it is considered the easier one than the prior form. this requests for personal details.
- CERTIFICATE OF GOOD STANDING FORM: This is the form that is needed to be completed by the Dental council (or) Medical council where you have registered as Dentist.
- PROFESSIONAL REFERENCE FORM: The form that has to be completed by the past or current employee related to the dental profession.
STEP 3: Documents have to be sent with the application
- This step deals with the documents that are required to be sent to (GDC) –GENERAL DENTAL COUNCIL.
- A completed application form (which includes the character referring form).
- A finalized Learning outcomes form.
- A certified copy of your pursued BDS or Dental Qualification Certificate.
- A certified copy of your curriculum or syllabus sheet from the college or university.
- A certified copy of the marks list or sheets of your course.
- The certificates are evident in the relevant training course and CPD.
- You must provide evidence that you really got the standard of English language which is mandatory for the registration.
- You need to submit some of the references which are from the employers stating your experience and knowledge as a DCP (Dental Care Professionals).
- Evidence for any relevant qualification for post graduation (if applicable only).
- A certified copy of your passport has all the details like Photographs, Personal details, Expiry date clearly (must be valid).
- A passport-sized photograph is signed at the back by the character reference.
- A certificate for the current professional standings.
- A certified copy of the document of changing your name (If you are married).
- Translations for the documents which have not been issued in English.
- A single photocopy of your complete application.
STEP 4: The time period that GDP required for registration
When the application is received by the General Dental Council (GDC) the following process carried out
- GDC contacts through the confirmation mail by letting you know that your application is received in five days.
- GDC will be checking the application form and documents within 4 weeks after reception of the application pack.
- GDC contacts if there is any problem regarding your application (if incomplete).
- If everything is proper as required GDC forwards your application to the next assessment panel (complete information is checked).
- Once the assessment panel gives its assessment to GDC then it will be informing you about their decision regarding your application (written and you will receive it through the post).
- GDC has a maximum of four months from the reception of the complete application till informing their decision.
It is an offense to use the title as DCP (Dental care professional) without being registered with GDC under section 39 of the Dentists Act 1984.
By following and understanding the above-given instructions the registration into GDP can be done and kindly remember to provide all genuine and real information to avoid conflicts.